Its construction began in 1924 and was completed in 1952, when the bell tower was built.
Valuable natural resources of the island were used for its construction. Its marbles were brought all the way from “Marmaro”, a cove in the east of Oinousses, where – as the story goes – there used to be an ancient temple.
The interior of the Monastery was the work of icon painters, whereas the icons were votive offerings from seafarers or the families of shipowners.
Visitors can get a clear view of the longstanding naval tradition of this remote island.
Important folk painter Aristeidis Glykas’s 22 paintings are exhibited in the main gallery.
The exhibition also includes steamship models from the early 19th century, as well as other impressive sailing nautical items, such as, the Lighthouse of 1864, sextants, marine binoculars, etc.
In Antonios Laimos Room, one can admire a rare collection of valuable models of French prisoners of the Napoleonic Wars.
These ivory models (ebony, animal horns) were made by French prisoners in English prisons.
Diamantis I. Pateras's son decesead father Xenofon, widely known as Panagos, jointed the seafaring profession, after having graduated from high school. He first went on board as a sailor, until he eventually became captain.
Panagos served as a captain until 1939. During World War II, and more specifically on 3rd October 1939, the steamboat Diamantis – of which Panagos was the captain – was torpedoed by the German Navy, but was miraculously saved along with the entire crew.
Deceased nun Maria Myrtidiotissa was the first Mother Superior of the Monastery. She was Dimitrios A. Laimos’s daughter and had been Panagos Pateras’s wife since 1931.
The iconography of the Katholikon of the Monastery was the work of deceased iconographer Photis Kontoglou.
Since its foundation, the Monastery has been using the Old Calendar, as well as St. Savas’s Typikon. Its celebrations take place twice a year: on 25th March (Annunciation of the Theotokos) and on 15th August (Dormition of the Theotokos).
The nuns occupy themselves doing several deeds for the Monastery, such as: iconography, icon golden embroideries, knitting and hand-sewing of religious vestments.